NATAL GOVERNMENT TELEGRAPH
The British Colony of Natal became self governing in 1893 whereby a "Responsible Government" as it was called was established. This government had to have a maturity to organise a society in normal circumstances.
This meant it had to have an administration which could maintain Transport, Medical and Communications amongst other things and also entail a self defence force. The latter being achieved by the introduction of a Volunteer Force under Volunteer Act No 23 of 1895.
In approximately the same year the Government organised its own communications and postal services by introducing the Natal Government Telegraph (NGT) service which came into being at the beginning of 1896.
A Militia Force was introduced under the Militia Act No 36 of 1903 and one of the units raised was the Natal Telegraph Corps (NTC) and raised from signallers of the Natal Volunteer Regiments and originally consisted of two troops of 50 men and one Officer.
With the outbreak of the Zulu Rebellion in 1906 along with the Medical Corps and the Service Corps, the NTC was increased in strength. At this time members of the NGT were used but were only allowed to join the NTC along with suitably qualified men from the Field Artillery.
The above badge although not an actual military badge is that of the Natal Government Telegraph who's staff were used by the Colonial Government to augment the numbers of military telegraphists and postal workers.