CEYLON DEFENCE FORCE
POST & TELEGRAPH SIGNALS
1943 - 1945
From it's formation on 23rd February 1911 the Corps of Ceylon Engineers had sole responsibility for military communications and to this end a Signal Company was formed in 1928. Following the outbreak of war in 1939 the Signals Company was mobilised. As the war progressed a second Signals Company of the Ceylon Engineers was formed.
With the fall of Singapore to the Japanese in 1942, Ceylon became of vital strategic importance. As such a Regiment of British Royal Signals was brought in to the country. At the same time the two Engineers Signals Companies were merged to be known as the Ceylon Defence Force Signals.
In 1943, due to the amount of work the Ceylon Post and Telegraph Signals were raised from the Ceylon Posts and Telegraph Department of the Civil Service. This unit was disbanded at the end of the war in 1945. An illustration of their cap badge can be seen above.