QUEEN'S GURKHA SIGNALS.
CORPS OF PIPES AND DRUMS
SLOUCH HAT BADGE
TheGurkha Signals were officially constituted on the 16th October 1953 as 17 Gurkha Division Signal Regiment and was commanded by Major L.H.M. Gregory BEM. This unit had emerged from the embryo 48th Gurkha Brigade Signal Squadron which was launched on 18th December 1950.
As early as 1952 Major Gregory had proposed that the Regiment should have a pipe band as other Gurkha Regiments had. Help was forthcoming from the Royal Scottish Fusiliers and 51st Highland Division Signal Regiment (Now 32 (Scottish) Signal Regiment (Volunteers) and a Corps of Pipes and Drums was formed.
Due to their affiliation with 32 (Scottish) Signals Regiment (V) the Gurkha Signals Corps of Pipes and Drums when wearing their slouch hat (Terai Hat) are permitted to wear a Grant Tartan with the Gurkha Signals badge attached. The wearing of the Grant Tartan was authorised by Lord Strathspey, Clan Chief of the Clan Grant.